Skip to main content

#115 Final presentations in Poland

I didn't expect Warsaw to be so modern. There are many commercial screens on big skyscrapers! I remember being excited on the way from the train station to the Apartment, having my nose stuck on the car window, observing the city. When I got to the house it was quite late, I couldn't find the entrance to the building! And when I eventually found it, I figured that the key they had given me didn't work since they had changed the lock to the door of my apartment and they didn't have the new key. After a few calls to the manager, they decided to open a big bag of keys and start looking for the right one. They wouldn't allow me to help them so while they were doing that, I went outside to salute my peers whom I hadn't seen in 5 months. It was exciting to meet everyone again.

The conditions in Poland were very different than in Napoli and I realised how the basic living conditions can influence so much the work itself.

It felt a bit like being a student again: having little money to spend on food, searching for the cheaper products at the supermarket etc. and that also influences the conversations we would have among the participants. There was a general unhappiness due to the fact that we were lacking basic comforts: good food and kitchen appliances in our own apartments. On the first day of rehearsal with my group, Michel communicated that he was leaving us. It was a shock for us and we had to adapt to the new situation. Ola and I took that first day to discuss what are our desires, where are we right now and what do we want to do with this new situation. It took us a while to get over the gap of a missing person. There was this kind of melancholia in the air, mixed with a feeling of rejection, doubt, discomfort. We had each other, and that was something. But we had the same wound so sometimes that would make us come closer. We'd discuss our feelings about the situation and understand exactly what the other meant. Overall I am happy with the work we managed to do with Ola, with the presentation and with meeting the new people in the residency. I feel like I made new contacts and connections. This is what I like about these kind of initiatives: in a small amount of time we meet people very closely.


By Isadora Tomasi



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#135 Poland final presentations toolbox

  1-12 August 2024 Final presentations in Warszawa, Poland. The "Dancing Together Again! Creative Residencies Programme, a project implemented by the National Institute of Music and Dance in Warsaw (Poland), the Arts Research Institute of Georgia in Tbilisi (Georgia), Movimento Danza in Naples (Italy) and TRAFIK Dance/Theatre Company in Rijeka (Croatia), took place in 2023-2024 under the Creative Europe Programme, under the Culture strand. The overall objective of the project was to promote cultural exchange and collaboration between dance professionals from Poland, Georgia, Italy and Croatia, with a focus on the creative process and its integration into local communities. The programme aimed to create a new framework for the exchange of ideas, creative methods and practices between artists, curators, arts managers and researchers working in the field of dance. It focused on audience development through direct engagement with local communities, sustainability in the context of dan...

#112 Final presentations in Poland

DTA residency will stay for me as one of the unforgettable projects, the experience and impact it has left on me, will follow me for many years. Now let’s circle back and let me tell you all the details I find interesting within this final presentation's 10 days residency. Once we all arrived in Warsaw, Poland, we all together had a big meet up in the hotel to receive our accommodation keys and to get city transportation tickets, for us to make it easier to travel independently. Seeing our friends from previous residency was surprisingly overwhelming and we felt lucky & thankful that we met each other again within the project! The accommodation itself was really nice & clean, even though the space was small it was perfectly suitable for a solo traveler. Together with tickets we also have received vouchers from local stores to buy ourselves dinner products and vouchers for the local bakery downstairs, which was nice for breakfast/brunch options. After one day to rest and res...

#127 Final presentations in Poland

Re-connecting in final residency in Warsaw It was a great opportunity for me to be a part of dance residency EU Project "Dancing together again" and to connect to other colleagues from participating countries, first in Napoli, then finally meeting all colleagues in Warsaw who have participated in previous residencies in Tbilisi, Rijeka and Napoli. I am very grateful to be able to participate in this project as the residencies were a rare opportunity for me to be able to focus only on dance artistic process, without needing to take care of other everyday duties. The weather in Warsaw was much cooler than in my hometown Zagreb during summer, which I really liked. However, this time it affected me in such a way that after the first few days of residency I got sick with a high fever and was forced to spend a few days in my room before I recovered. This unexpected situation allowed me enough space to process all the new information about first impressions of Warsaw residency on ...